HVAC System Tips from Your Fredericksburg Heating & Cooling Company
Our professions in Fredericksburg are AC and heating experts, and we know that HVAC systems perform at their best with the proper care and maintenance. Keep your home safe and your HVAC system working efficiently with these tips from Robert B. Payne, Inc.!
- The Smell of Gas – If you smell gas,it’s time to leave the building. Do not light matches, touch electrical switches, or even use your phone. Call your gas supplier from a neighbor’s home immediately and remain near your home until a representative arrives.
- Carbon Monoxide – Carbon Monoxideis an odorless gas which is present whenever there is insufficient oxygen during combustion. Exposure to carbon monoxide may cause nausea, dizziness, violent coughing, irregular breathing, and ultimately unconsciousness and possibly death. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get to fresh air quickly. Call the local Emergency/Fire & Rescue Association immediately. The US Consumer Products Safety Committee recommends that every home be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector. Test your detector routinely.
- HVAC Maintenance – Check your heating and air conditioning air filter every 30 days and change it when it’s dirty. A dirty filter will cause your system to use more energy and will increase your utility bill. According to Honeywell, 90% or more of airborne particles get past the typical “dime store filters;” up to 50% of these particles are captured by the indoor coil. Dirty coils increase operation cost dramatically over time. With a typical throw away 5-7% efficient filter, operation cost of a heat pump could increase almost 10% after 5 years, over 35% in 15 years, and 49% over 20 years! Maintenance programs for your HVAC can put money back into your pocket. Up to 80% of all compressor failures are caused by something other than the compressor. Studies have shown that homeowners who are on regular maintenance programs end up paying for fewer compressor failures and emergency repairs because small issues are repaired before they become major problems.
- Ducts – A faulty, leaky duct system can increase your home’s heating and cooling costs by as much as 40%. A study conducted by Lakeland Electric & Water Utility and the Florida Solar Energy Center reported that 10% duct leakage was found to increase cooling demand by 23% and heating demand by up to 37%. Leaky ductwork will not only increase operating costs, but will also decrease the air quality in your home.
- Indoor Air Quality – Humidifying the air in your home will help rectify issues caused by dry air. Proper humidification can help with respiratory issues and will also allow you to set the thermostat a bit lower in the winter while still feeling comfortable. Correct humidity levels will also help protect your furniture, doors, carpets, and draperies from damage caused by dryness.
- Electrical Outlets – Non-gasketed electric outlets may be a big energy waster in your home. You can purchase these gaskets at a local hardware store.
- Weather-stripping – Check to ensure your home is properly weather stripped and caulked. Infiltration of air around windows and doors is a major cause of excessive energy consumption in homes and businesses.
- Thermostats – Choose a new programmable thermostat to replace your older thermostat to save money. These thermostats can be automatically programmed to raise or lower the temperature setting at bedtime and again in the morning. A heat pump must have a thermostat that is designed specifically for that heat pump system.
At Robert B. Payne, Inc. we pride ourselves on our ability to provide the residential HVAC services and commercial HVAC services that will help our customers to have efficient, comfortable homes! For help with any type of HVAC maintenance or for HVAC repairs and installation in Fredericksburg, Stafford, or King George, VA, give Robert B. Payne, Inc. a call!